Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I am late.
I was supposed to post my "dream" page last week as we have scheduled our summer with weekly prompts to guide us in our art making and our writing. 

My dreams are full.  My dreams are busy.  My dreams are many.
My dreams consist of Croy.  I wish he was still here by my side instead of sitting in my heart. 
I dream that I could turn the clock back and bring him back to us. 
I dream that all of the little events that eventually led to his untimely death could be erased - the horrific nightmare of a hospital in Savannah, the ambulance ride that seemed to take forever to get us to Atlanta and the numerous mistakes made by Children's.  I often feel that Croy should be here with us - but then I have to hold deep in my heart that God needed him.  Croy did so much "good" here on Earth - he spread his joy, he loved unconditionally - so my new dream is that I can live as fully and as whole as he did. 

The definition of dream is:
"A series of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. A daydream; a reverie.  A state of abstraction; a trance. A wild fancy or hope. A condition or achievement that is longed for; One that is exceptionally gratifying, excellent, or beautiful."

And to explore the act of "dream" used throughout time:
MLK:  "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."   Amen!
PAUL MCCARTNEY: The tune for "Yesterday" came to him in a dream...
MARY SHELLEY: Frankenstein was inspired by a dream - "when I placed my head upon my pillow, I did not sleep, nore could I be said to think...I saw - with shut eyes, but acute mental vision - I saw the hideous phantasm of a man stretched out and ..."
ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON:  He described dreams as occurring in "that small theater of the breain which we keep brightly lighted all night long".  His classic novel "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was conceived, written, re-written, re-re-written and printed inside of ten weeks in 1886 and was conceived in a dream.
JACK NICKLAUS: This golfer found a new way to hold his golf club in a dream, which he credits to improving his golf game back in 1964.
STEPHEN KING: "Dreams are just another part of life.  To me, it's like seeing something on the stree you can use in your fictioin.  You take it and plug is right in." 

So this week I will consider all that could be locked away in my dreams - there is documented proof that famous creative ideas materialized from dreams - writers, poets, musicians, philosphers, athletes, artists...dreams inspire and so I hope my dreams will inspire me to write and create my story.  My story about how my Croy informs my life now - my curricula, my daily actions, my future.

"Dream Spread" - Visual Journal Entry - dewestudio - May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment